If any of these things sound familiar, that’s a big yup

Most of us tend to wait until the very last minute to fix a problem, which is longer than we should. And if things seem to be working just fine, it’s not hard to see why we do it.

However, over time, normal wear and tear could have much bigger consequences. Your home’s electrical system is the perfect example of this. For the most part, it may be doing its job adequately, but if it’s old, it could be starting to show its age. This means you should think about making some changes.

We outline six signs it’s time to update your system

If you’ve noticed any of these red flags, your home is probably overdue for a new or updated electrical system:

Flickering lights

When you turn on the TV or make a pot of coffee, do some lights around your home flicker or dim? This is a sign that you have an overloaded circuit that’s having trouble keeping up with the electrical demand.

Shocking switches or outlets

If you get nervous every time you have to turn on a light or plug something into a specific outlet and approach it like Indiana Jones touching that golden head in Raiders of the Lost Ark, you’ve got a problem. Getting a shock is never pleasant, and it could also be an indication of defective or faulty wiring. If an outlet or switch is also frequently hot to the touch, this is also another bad sign.

Repeated breaker trips

Circuit breakers have an important job to do. They protect circuits from getting overloaded, and they do this by stopping (or tripping) the power when they sense too much electricity flowing. An occasional trip isn’t usually a cause for concern. However, if this happens frequently, it could be because your panel is old or perhaps because of faulty wiring.

Short-lived bulbs

Does it feel like you’re always having to put in new bulbs? It may not be because your spouse and/or kids leave the lights on in every room, even when nobody’s in there, no matter how often you tell them to turn them off. What, do they think we’re made of money?! But we digress.

When bulbs never seem to last very long, this could be because they’re getting too much electricity, which could be another sign of bad wiring.

Discolored outlets

If you see any outlets that look dark or discolored, this is worrisome. This is especially problematic if there is some soot or maybe charring. This means there has already been a fire. Again, chances are good that poor wiring is to blame.

Higher than usual power bills

If your energy usage habits haven’t changed, your bills should reflect this. However, if there is suddenly a big jump, that’s an indicator that something’s wrong. This could be because your system has old and corroded parts that require more electricity to supply the juice you need.

You never want to ignore problems with your electrical system. If you’re experiencing any of these things, contact the pros at Universal Electrical. We’ll send somebody out to see what’s going on and determine the best solution.